Summer Institute Application
DEADLINE FOR YOUR APPLICATION: May 15, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. MT
Decisions will be issued by May 29, 2019 at the latest.
Complete the application form below to be considered by the 2019 Summer Institute on AI Societal Impacts, Governance, and Ethics Selection Committee.
Please be advised that this form cannot be saved as a draft. Before you begin the application process, kindly ensure that you are prepared to submit the following required information and documents:
- Personal identification and contact details
- Link(s) to your personal academic web page (if you have one)
- Academic transcript in PDF format; unofficial transcripts will be accepted (if applicable)
- CV with a list of publications in PDF format (maximum 3 pages)
- Brief description of your research interests (3-5 key words) and a statement describing how you meet the background criteria (150 words)
- Description of your top 3 achievements in research, scholarship or leadership (publications, projects, or other contributions – one sentence each). (if applicable)
- Two short essays [max 8500 chars each] on the following questions:
What aspects of your interests, observations, and experiences both within and outside academia have led you to apply to the Summer Institute? Describe how societal impacts, governance, ethics of AI/ML relates to your ongoing research or other work, and/or to any of your prior work, study, or experience in the field. [max 8500 chars]; and What you hope to get out of the Summer Institute? Include any specific ideas of a collaborative project you would wish to work on there, as well as how you intend to use the knowledge and experience you will gain. [max 8500 chars]
The Summer Institute Selection Committee will handpick participants from the pool of applicants.
Information collected on this form will only be used for the purposes of evaluating your application, communicating with you regarding your application, and planning the necessary support and logistics for the 2019 Summer Institute. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be shared except as necessary for the purposes stated here.